Banana, chocolate, citrus, apples, grass, peaches – these were just a few of the aromas and flavours experienced by tasters at Ledbury Food Group’s “Appreciating Great Beer” tasting event on Saturday 26th April in Ledbury.
Master Brewer and Beer Judge Derek Orford introduced a contrasting range of beers both local and continental – lager, wheat, English Ale, stout, Trappist and Lambic – to demonstrate the variety of beer styles available. Tasters appreciated learning more about how beer is made and judged, and how to assess aroma and taste, sampling various malt barleys and hops as well as beer.
Ledbury Food Group ran the event to stimulate interest in our local beer heritage and products, with kind support from Hay Wines (Ledbury), Whittington’s Brewery, Untapped Brewery, and the Friday Beer Co, who between them supplied the beer tasted at the event.
Details of the beers tasted:
- Crystal Wheat Beer from the Untapped Brewery, Raglan
- Cats Whiskers from Whittingtons Brewery @ Three Choirs, Newent
- Black Hill Stout from Friday Beer Co, Malvern Link
- Budweiser Budvar from the Czech Republic
- Rochefort: Trappiste 6 from Belgium
- Mort Subite: Geuze a very different style also from Belgium