I have given you a really easy soup recipe this month, but using ingredients readily available at this time of year and very suitable for lunch or the first course when entertaining. Just don’t overcook the ingredients, cut the potatoes into very small dice and they will cook quickly. I hope you enjoy it, I love soup at any time of year!
- 12ozs. / 350g. potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 4 or 5 spring onions, finely chopped (including the green parts)
- 1 small, round lettuce, washed, patted dry and shredded
- ½ a medium cucumber, chopped
- 3ozs. / 75g. butter
- 1 ½ pints (850mls.) chicken or vegetable stock
- Snipped fresh chives, to garnish
- Salt and pepper
- First of all, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter gently, then add the potatoes, spring onions, lettuce and cucumber. Stir everything round in the butter then, keeping the heat very low, put a lid on and let everything sweat for 10 minutes.
- Now pour in the stock, stir, add some salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, put the lid on and let it simmer gently for another 20 minutes. Leave the soup to cool a little, then puree the whole lot in a blender
- Check the seasoning, gently re-heat the soup and serve it with the freshly snipped chives stirred in at the last moment or sprinkle a few into each bowl.