May I recommend Matt’s Kitchin, a new venture in the Homend Mall. The trained chef makes his own home cooked meals to take away and also sells small quantities of spices, which are very useful if you do not use them very often as out of date spices are no good at all and will not impart any flavour, best put in the bin I am afraid. A wide range of spices in small refill sachets is also available in Handley Organics.
- 2 tbsps. oil
- 750g. / 1 ½ lbs. diced lamb
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4cm. piece ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- small carton double or whipping cream
- 1/2 pt. chicken or beef stock
- 1 bag of spinach
- Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the lamb in batches. Remove from the pan and add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom and cloves and cook, stirring for 1 – 2 minutes or until fragrant. Return the lamb to the pan. Add the bay leaves and stock.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, stir well, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hrs. Add the cream and cook covered for a further 20 minutes or until the lamb is very tender.
- Add the spinach and cook until it has just wilted (a few minutes). Season to taste and serve with rice.