This really is an easy cake. To roast the nuts use a dry frying pan but watch them very carefully as they take no time at all to burn! I always line all my cake tins with baking parchment, even if they are non stick, it just makes life that much easier. I think I have said before but cakes are much more successful when all the ingredients are room temperature, so do not use butter etc. straight out of the fridge.
Makes 12 Slices
- 7ozs. / 200g. plain flour
- 6ozs. / 170g. caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 2oz. / 55g. melted butter
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 7fl. ozs. / 200mls. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large pears
- 2ozs. / 55g. chopped, roasted nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4.
- Grease and line an oblong tin of roughly 9 x 13 inches / 23 x 33 cm.
- Put the flour, sugar, eggs, butter, baking powder, milk and vanilla into a large bowl and mix well.
- Peel the pears and remove the cores. Cut into small pieces and fold into the cake mix.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle over the cobnuts or hazelnuts.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into slices. Great for afternoon tea or warm with cream for pudding.