Our own annual Ledbury food and drink festival on the last day of the Ledbury Poetry Festival becomes part of the “Great Ledbury Celebration” this year and moves to Ledbury’s historic High Street market place to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the iconic Market House in a birthday treat of food, drink, music, poetry and heritage.
The event brings together organisations across Ledbury including Ledbury Town Council, Ledbury Poetry Festival, Ledbury Food Group, the Friends of the Master’s House, the Youth Council, the Ledbury Fringe, local businesses, traders and performers.
A street market in the High Street featuring the best of local food will fill the High Street with special treats to enjoy straightaway or take home, including stalls featuring our locally produced fruit juices served in interesting ways.
The following will join us at this year’s festival:
- Bentleys Castle Fruit Farm
- Canapes by Gill
- Crazy Creperie
- Croome Cuisine
- Fresh@Eat Your Veg
- Hanley Swan Bakery
- Imaginative Gourmet
- Just Rachel
- Kitchen Flowers
- Little Marcle Farm Shop
- Method Roastery
- Monkland Cheese Dairy
- My Cocoa
- Myrtles Kitchen
- Old Granary Pierogi
- Orchard Origins (Herefordshire Wildlife Trust)
- Pork & Two Veg
- Risbury Rapeseed Oil
- Season Cordials
- The Cooking Cooks
- The Handmade Scotch Egg Company
- Vincenta’s Empanadas
- Wychbold Fudge
- Wykeham Gardens
- Ledbury Food Group
The Ledbury Poetry Festival celebrates its own 21st Birthday with a party event featuring a fine array of acts in the High Street from 11am, with the following running order (times are approximate):
- 11.00 Ledbury Community Brass Band
- 12.00 Silurian Morris Men
- 12.40 Samba Galez – samba comes to Ledbury,
- 13.40 Nick Lovell – poet
- 13.55 LADS – The Visitor – drama of Old Ledbury
- 14.25 The Sequins – retro pop
- 15.25 Dancefest – special dance performance
- 15.55 Flatworld – world music
- 16.55 Brenda Read-Brown – poet
- 17.40 Dave Crowe – beat box
Celebrating the Market House’s 400th birthday, look out for the following attractions:
- Presentation of a Birthday Cake to the Market House at 11.45am
- An exhibition of over 200 birthday cards produced by children from Ledbury Primary School – Market House (upstairs)
- An exhibition about Ledbury’s heritage buildings – Market House (upstairs) – and an accompanying souvenir brochure from Ledbury’s Joined Up Heritage project.
- Dramatic interludes featuring people from Ledbury’s past around the town – various places between about 12.00 and 13.30.
- Ledbury’s fine array of heritage buildings – Master’s House, Painted Room, Heritage Centre, Butcher Row and St Michael’s church will all be open
- A “bake a celebratory cake” competition – entry forms will be available from Ledbury News and Past and Present.
Plus look out for musicians from the Ledbury Fringe performing anywhere. Scheduled pub gigs on the day are:
- Jamie Williams and The Roots Collective – The Prince of Wales, 4pm
- Three Bone Joint – The Retreat, 6.30pm
The popular Clapper Box theatre will again be here to provide puppetry fascination for all ages.
This is a free event. The High Street will be closed to traffic all day for the celebration. Free parking is available at the public car parks, and the Friends of John Masefield High School are providing additional parking at the School (signed off the Southend) for a small donation to their funds.